Saturday, January 26, 2008

Inaugural Bake & Bake Recipe

At some point two years ago, we had the inaugural Bake & Bake at Erin's house. Members were Erin, Claudia and myself. I *think* we made lemon squares, brownies and apple crumble, but it was the first Bake & Bake and we really Baked & Baked (and Drunk).

I do remember meeting Claudia at the LCBO on St. Clair and Bathurst before heading over to Erin's and we were both buying Prosecco. I believe that we also created our favourite 'Lady Drink' that night - Prosecco and any kind of fruit juice.

Wow - what a night of firsts.

If I did in fact make Lemon Squares, here's the recipe. Thank you Texas Cooking Online!

Lemon Squares

2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup butter

Mix the flour, sugar and butter as for a pie crust. Pat evenly into a 9 x 18 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees F until very light brown, about 15 minutes.

2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp flour
3 beaten eggs
juice and finely grated zest of 2 lemons
confectioner's sugar

Mix ingredients, except for confectioner's sugar, in the order given and pour over the baked crust. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, or until set. Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar.

Additional notes on recipe - I do not have a 9 x 18 inch pan. I think I used a 9 x 12 pan and it was fine. Also, I really like super tart lemon squares, and I didn't think they were tart enough with the recipe as is. I made these again last year for Roger and Claudia's house warming and I did 3 lemons instead of 2. Much tarter.

No comments: